Friday 27 February 2009

Ugly Side of Love























Gotta give a shout out to Malakai who finally released their album, Ugly Side of Love this week - and about time too!


On Wednesday the boys played an album launch gig down at the Louisiana to an audience packed in to the top room and I've gotta say this was one of the finest performances i have seen in ages - heavy beats, haunting vocals and rifts that had my head nodding all evening. The opening track 'Only for You' with its spooky repeated whispers set a tone that many felt a little unsure of - especially when Gee on lead vocals finally made eye contact with the crowd revealing some super heavy eye make up that made him look wilder than one of Strokes Croft's finest. When the first drum beat dropped so heavily i almost jumped out of my skin, but was reassured to see i was not alone - that one took us by surprise!


Highlights for me were (predictably) Snowflake, Blackbird and Shitkicker (aka The Battle) but perhaps that is because I'm familiar with these tracks already... but it was awesome to hear the stuff i hadn't heard before. Don't just take my word for it - grab yourself a copy here, you wont be disappointed. The Bristol Sound for 2009.

You'll also be treated to a CD booklet that contains artworks by Paris, Milk, Mr Jago, FLX, Andy Council and myself...

3 Wise Malakai Monkeys by Acerone

No comments: